Monday, January 26

A good time.

Well kids, it's been awhile. . .

I just got back from a high school retreat held at Camp Lone Star. . . I just got back from my home.
I wish I were able to say that camp is my comfort zone, but it's not. Many people think that's why the collective 'we' keep going back, but nothing could be further from the truth. Through the past 10 years or so, Camp Lone Star has developed into a ministry unlike any other I know. It' not like other camps; and I say this knowing the ministries at other sites, not just my bubbled experience. CLS has been blessed with leadership that seeks God in all things. It was a purposeful ministry long before PDYM was in a publishers hand. I believe what has made this ministry truly different from others is the focus and commitment given to this one purpose. . . Taking people out of their daily life experience and letting them taste what God intended life to be. People have come and gone through CLS's doors and been either frustrated or flat out mad at some of the implications this goal has presented.
"What do you mean we only play Christian music in the cabins with kids?"
"Why can't we raid the girls cabin at 3 in the morning?"
"What do you mean no cross dressing for the skit?"
People have come through the doors and left, sadly unwilling to give their life a try without the patterns of this world. As kids have been told, "just see what life is like without that CD for one week. Just one week, and see how you feel." Little things, I know. But lots of little things add up to a big focus on the reality of our world.

I am humbled to know that I have been a small part of the CLS ministry over the years. I am frightened to think that it will lose focus over time. People that were once so innovative and ready to redefine a focus for ministry now sit idle, desperately clutching what little control they still have. I pray vision and discernment will be given to those in control of CLS's future. May our sovereign God lead us.

I love camp.
-The IP-

No comments: