Tuesday, May 25

The purpose driven lifeguard.

Several of my high school summers were spent working as a lifeguard for the city. I had my training, got my red swimsuit, and off I went. I liked the jobs. They were mostly fun with little hard work. I was always nervous, though, whenever I watched the pool. I always had an uneasy feeling about me as I scanned the swimmers, thinking that at any moment someone was sure to start drowning and need my assistance. I always feared what I would fail to see.
It’s an odd thing being in the life-saving business, and I guess lifeguarding is the closest I’ll ever get to being a medical professional. You see, when you’re the lifeguard, you’re the end-all life-saving guru within the fence. Sure you might have to call 9-11 for big emergencies, but you’re trained to pull a dying body out of the deep end and bring them back to life. But here’s the kicker . . .You aren’t the only one who can do this job, but you are the one the people have designated to save lives. Most groups of people are able to watch each other and know when someone’s in trouble and needs help. (It doesn’t take a genius to see when someone is drowning.) The lifeguard, however, is assigned the task of watching over others, and ensuring that the life-saving goes off without a hitch. It’s not that other people can’t do it, it’s just that some people think it’s best for one person to be selected as the lifeguard.

Now, I told you that so I could tell you this:
One afternoon at the pool, I’m sitting on the stand scanning the pool. It’s hard to see directly below you on a lifeguard stand, and typically the lifeguard will tell swimmers to stay out of that area. Anyhow, across the pool, underneath a lifeguard stand, I notice a young girl who is in obvious trouble. She is swimming with a friend who is right by her side. Her friend, a capable swimmer, could easily reach out an arm and pull the girl to the ledge, as it was only a few feet away. Instead of helping, the friend begins to climb out of the pool and taps on the lifeguard’s foot. Looking up, the girl tells the lifeguard that her friend needs help and points her out. The lifeguard, upon noticing the helpless girl, leaps off the stand and reaches out......




I hate to do this, but...
Normally I would want to just lay out a story and let the reader dig for themselves. This time, however, I want to add direction to the thoughts. I’ve had church tradition on my mind lately, and I wonder how many things started as merely good ideas, but have now snowballed into necessities for ‘true worship.’

No comments: