Tuesday, March 23

Sound familiar.

I posted awhile back about being dissatisfied with life. Not me in particular, but our human condition of being unhappy with our world. Archived here. It's at the bottom of the page. The post is titled 'Finding Home'.
Anyhow, I came across a taped sermon from Matt Chandler on the First Baptist Church in Dallas website. They have a College worship service Tuesday nights called Refuge that's become very powerful to me. It's been a place where I can go and not be a church worker. I go to praise my God. (Shhhh, don't tell the LCMS I worship with non-Lutherans; they just might make my day and fire me.) Sorry, got sidetracked. So that's how I came across this sermon, although I hesitate calling it a sermon, because that makes it sound boring. But it's Matt talking about this very idea I mentioned before. Overall he's heading in a different direction with his talk, but he mentions this idea of being dissatisfied with this life.

Here's a link to the archived sermon page, and the one I'm talking about is from August 31, 2003. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

If you want to listen to some of it, listen for this section. This is what hit home with me. This section comes at about 4 minutes into the audio, so don't worry, you don't have to listen too long!

"You're going to find a whole country starving to death for righteousness,
with human souls all over the place going "whatever can do it, Make me right because
something is wrong in me. Something is wrong in me and no matter what I do and no matter
where I go and no matter what I get involved in it gnaws at me and it aches in my soul
and no matter what trinkets I get or how large my house gets or how many romantic nights
me and my girl have in a row there is something still gnawing at me and I cannot fix it."
And the whole world begins to beckon to us the things that might fix our souls; and in all
of it we begin to understand Ecclesiastes 'Vanity, vanity, it's all vanity.'
Ecclesiastes 3:11 says that God has put a hole in the heart of man. He has placed
eternity there so that we might seek him. And that means there is nothing this side
of heaven that will fill the gaping hole of eternity in our hearts."
-Matt Chandller-

No comments: