Wednesday, September 15

The things that are mine

For me it's a blue comforter that fits a twin extra long bed. . . . .how 'bout you?

You know about twin extra long beds if you've been to college recently. Universities started getting the longer beds awhile back, and for anyone 6' or taller, they're wonderful. For once in my life I had a bed that my feet didn't hang off of while I slept. I put the comforter back in the closet the other day and it reminded me of my things. These aren't just things, mind you, but the things that have been with me.

You see, that's what happens with things. They're meaningless to others, but profound to you. You can see your things in pictures alongside you, or sometimes in memories. At times we forget our things, and how they've been with us, but we're reminded by a photo album or a passing comment. I bet my things are just as random as yours. A couch that's older then me; a quilt made by a family member; A picture that's hung in every house I've ever lived in. You see, that's what we forget about our things. We forget that they've been with us. We forget that they've gone with us. Sort of like how I forgot about my blue comforter that fits a twin extra long bed.

To think about where I've been with this simple thing of mine astounds me. It's almost painful to recall all the emotional memories all at once. You know that feeling? When the wash comes over you and you can remember with vivid detail emotions of the past. I can remember when. . .

  • I slept on the comforter my first night of college
  • I went to sleep much to late on the comforter after long nights of doing nothing with friends but having the best times of my life.
  • The comforter was in Minnesota with me in January when Thomas and I forgot to close our window at night, and I awoke under the comforter able to see my breath.
  • I sought the mind of God while laying on the comforter after hearing of a tragic accident at Texas A&M.
  • I spent countless nights wrestling with fear on the comforter during summers at Camp Lone Star.
  • I've gone to sleep drunk on it.
  • I've awoken drunk on it.
  • I packed the comforter in a uhaul trailer and took it cross country when I was 18.
  • I've rationalized skipping class because of the comforters warmth.
  • I've laid under the comforter at night, fearing the next day.
  • I've watched movies on the comforter when I should have been asleep.
  • I had to sleep with that comforter the night I found out a friend of mine was getting divorced.
  • I had to sleep with the comforter the summer I learned of my parents divorce.
  • After the road trip that ended in a spectacular car wreck in the middle of the night in the middle of Wyoming, I couldn't wait to fall asleep on the comforter.
  • I awoke on the comforter the morning of sept. 11, 2001 to the sound of my clockradio broadcasting the news.

When I look at the tattered blue comforter that fits a twin extra long bed I usually just see a crappy, old, cotton comforter. From time to time, though, I see countless other things.


No comments: