Friday, September 10

You won't believe this.

So here's the deal. . . .

Things like this make me want to walk away from organized religion forever. I'm not sure I'd even offer a glance back as I headed out into the unknown.

-Just so you know-
If you're affiliated with the lcms in any way, you might be aware of the divisions between the conservative and liberal thinkers in the chuch. (Sound familiar?) Whatever your thoughts are on the issue, here's a new chapter in the war. At the recent National Youth Gathering, the president of the synod, Gerald Kieschnick, gave a sermon during a worship service. Now, bear in mind, this was a worship service with 35,000+ people. The average age had to be somewhere around 16 or 17. During his sermon, President Kieschnick brought his wife and grandchildren onstage to help make a point about the importance of family. His wife quickly said she was excited to see all the youth from across the nation, and how each one of us would have a chance to be used by God to reach others in our lives. (or some version of that.)


Now, I told you all that so I could tell you this. . . .
There's a lot of people who are pretty upset about Kieschnick's actions over the past couple years. But now they're arguing this sermon at the youth gathering, saying he had a woman preach and how he wants to eventually ordain women in the synod. Yeah you heard me. People are upset that a pastor's wife was allowed to address a crowd of 35,000 youth and simply say she was proud of them.

I was at the national youth gathering, and believe me, I had my problems with some of what went on. None of which had to do with any women onstage, or the lack of readings taken from the book of concord. Check out some quotes taken from the first website I link at the bottom of the post. This guy is a sophomore at Concordia University in River Forest:

"On another night Bob Lenz, director and founder of Life Promotions Inc. spoke to us. Bob Lenz is well known for his high involvement with ELCA ministries. He is NOT a Missouri Synod Lutheran, which is my first concern"

"Much of the hymnody were songs that are not in our Synodically adopted and approved hymnals (Worship Materials), which begged the question, why are we using them?"

"I did not see much value, if any in the presence of non-Lutheran outreaches and ministries, such as many of the Contemporary Worship bands, and Christian Music corporations, in addition to Life Promotions and other pan-Christian (and in some cases pan-Lutheran) groups"

"The sectionals, for the most part were also very helpful to many of them, granted Bob Lenz, David Benke and other individuals which are not necessarily in accord with historic Lutheranism spoke, but apart from those who were clearly divisive because of their pasts many youth found benefit in attending the sectionals."


Here are a few sites to draw your attention:

1. More of the sophomore at Concordia River Forest giving his insight at insyderhomielc.com
2. Hardcore conservative Lutheran atWorldmag (Check out an archived post about the Kieschnick thing here


I could care less about someone being Lutheran. I could care less if they join my church or add their name to some list. I don't care if someone knows that lutherans came from Germany, or who martin Luther is, or what the explanation of the third article of the apostles creed means. I don't care if they took the plastic cover off of their catechism, or if they know what happened at the council of Nicea. I don't care if they know why the pastor wears a collar, or why the hymnal is blue. I don't care if a high school kid at my church has ever seen a book of concord, or if he knows what my title 'DCE' means. What I do care about are people knowing the truth about the existence of God, and the way he did whatever it took to be in relationship with us. . . . . . . . . . . .oh yeah, hooray lutheranism.

-Peace-

No comments: