Thursday, September 18

Letters to Michael Moore

Not much to say lately. Thought I'd make an unusual post. This is a letter I sent to Michael Moore several months ago. (Actually it was right about the time we went to war.) This was written as a response to his anti-war efforts and Bush-bashing policies. I know it's just more war talk, but hey, it's what I got. I'd encourage everyone to check out Mike's website and his ideals. I'm not going to put my opinions about him here. . . . yet. Make up your own mind. That's what we need more of these days anyway.
-Peace out-



-Mike-

I wonder. If you were in New York, and viewed a typical mugger running off with a ladies purse, would you simply smile and flash the peace sign? Or if you were taking a stroll in central park, and saw a man rape and then brutally murder a young girl, would you pause, smile, and give the peace sign again? If you were witness to an Iraqi family watching each other be slaughtered, would you do the 'diplomatic' thing and give them the two fingers, smile, and hope for peace? Mike, there comes a time when action is necessary. In the same way that I would try and stop a rappist or thief, (even if it simply meant calling the cops), how can we not stop a murderer of even greater proportions? I guess maybe that's someone elses problem right? I haven't been brutalized by anyone, so what should I care? Give peace a chance right? I assume that if you lived under a regime that slaughtered its own for no reason, including your own family, you would simply sit back, smile, and give the good 'ol peace sign again. (I realize at this point, you may feel the need to say "Well I do live under a regime that sends its own off to war to have them killed!! But let's not be hasty, there is reason for this conflict, and that is what we are discussing.)
Will Americans die? Yes. Will innocent Iraqi people die? Yes. Does war suck? Yes. Is war necessary? Yes.

Mike, I would love to live in a totally peaceful world. I would love to live in a world that didn't involve war. I can only imagine the benefit of utilizing the war-effort-dollars here in our own country. Wow! The things that could get done!! But here's the catch. As long as one person doesn't agree to live peacefully, none of us can. Take it to a smaller level. I live in a suburb of a large city. Why should there be a police force? I'm not gonna commit any crimes that justify having police patrol all over the city. Think of all the other wonderful uses for the cities current police dollars! It would be wonderful!! Hooray, let's do it! I'm sure everyone will be all for it! Because hey, give peace a chance! But as long as criminals out there exist, we must have a police force. As long as a few, or even one member of the city chooses to break the law or endanger others, the police force must be around. The logic sucks, because it means that policemen out there may get killed. It means that some people may die. That's right. But do we abolish everything and sit back, smiling, or course, with our peace signs in the air while criminals go around looting and killing anywhere they choose?

Peace takes effort. And I stand by the comment; "as long as one person doesn't agree to peace, it won't work" Diplomacy has been tried. It has been given a valiant effort on many sides, and it has failed. There is much more to say on the subject, but for now, I'll leave it at this. I thank you for any consideration you may give this letter. And Mike, if I ever saw someone threatening your life, should I try to simply 'talk it out' with them? Well, I'll leave that decision to you. As for me Mike, I would intervene in any way possible; Without my peace sign and smile.

In Service,
-Brandon-

No comments: