Tuesday, November 4

The Matrix

So last night, (Monday) I went to see The Matrix Revolutions. Now you may be asking yourself, 'self, how did Brandon see that movie when it isn't being released until Wednesday?' Well my little blogglets, the answer is simple. I am the unknown face behind the Wachowski brothers writing! Well, not exactly, but that would have been a whole lot cooler if I was.

A friend of mine has a brother who works in one of the movie theaters and he got us into a screening of the film. Too bad they didn't get the movie started until 12:30 at night! I didn't get home until 3:30 in the morning, but I think it was worth it. Just to let you know, I threw a spoiler into the last sentence of the paragraph about the movie, so if you don't want to know some significant parts of the movie, don't read it. . . but if you don't care, read on. I'll warn you again right before, just don't get ticked at me if you read it.


Here's my take on the whole Matrix phenomenon. . . . .

The first Matrix movie presented us with a philisophical framework that was just amazing. While the idea of defining reality is old philosophy, it was brought out in a new light with created world of the matrix. (Check out the Matrix website for some great essays on the philosophy behind the movies, and how old the concept really is.) Back when the first Matrix was released, we were told that this was only the beginning of the story, and the first one had to be shown to set up the world in which the actual storyline was going to take place. This being known, the two more recent installments in the matrix trilogy have been nothing more than elaborate action movies. Don't get me wrong, I think both Reloaded and Revolutions were great flicks, but they lack the philisophical depth of the original Matrix. Reloaded still gave us hard questions and big words from the architecht, but this was all in relation to the storyline, so it lacked the emotional/philisophical depth that the first movie had to offer.

Revolutions offers us with more answers to the world of the matrix, as well as a few oppurtunities for more questions. All in all, I thought the film was great. It had the kind of action we've come to expect from the trilogy, and enough questions were answered to satisfy my cravings left over from Reloaded. Ok, here's the spoiler. . . . if you don't want to know anything that happens in the movie, skip this last sentence and head to the next paragraph! Don't say I didn't warn you! (Agent Smith takes over Neo's body. . . .and Trinity dies)



Whew, ok, good to get that out of my system.
All in all, the reason the first Matrix was such a great movie is because it forces you to challenge your own concept of reality. Few movies have ever achieved this goal. It's not just a metaphor on human life, or a depiction of how life 'might become'. It forces us to consider the possibility that we are already living in that world. . . .or better yet, it forces us to challenge or own concepts of what is real, and how we can rationally come up with an answer. (My postmodern friends love this)

Thanks be to God that He has shown us what is real. He has 'revealed' to us the truth.
Peace out
-Brandon-

No comments: