Wednesday, November 5

Trash talk. . .

Last night as I was taking out my trash, which was alot even by the 115's standards, and it crossed my mind that every piece of trash I throw away was somehow brought into my apartment in a non-trash form. Everything I take out of my apt in disgust that I call 'trash', I probably brought into my apt in a new, shiny wrapper.



Earlier last night, I went to a college worship service called Refuge. It takes place at First Baptist Church in downtown Dallas. This was my second time attending the service, and it was amazing. The speaker that night had an incredible message to give us; one that I have not considered in quite some time. Talk about conviction. . .Check out Ephesians 4, specifically verse 30.
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God,. . .
For myself, it's been too long since I realized the implication of God's spirit alive and working in my life. With every sin I commit, God Himself grieves. Everytime I decide to walk apart from God, He is there in a state of grief, pleading with my soul to come back. . . .I can imagine how many times just today the Holy Spirit has been crying out to me "Don't you know where that leads?! Don't you know what that can do to you?!"
Wow. . . .
This brings in to question, how long will God's Spirit continue to dwell within us? This brings questions of a hardened heart, and all that jazz. . . .we read about it in scripture, so will it still happen today? I feel like the answer is yes. Now, I have to pre-empt this with the thinking that, just like the excommunicated church-goer, the reason for a break is the desire for redemption. scripture tells us to treat those who continue unrepenting in their sin differently; to treat them as pagans (unbelievers). And guess what, we've been taught to love our unbelieving brothers and sisters, longing for them to be a member of the believers.
Ok, so back to the point. I do believe that through the constant rejection of the truth, (aka. sin), there is a point when God's spirit says 'that's it'. Now remember, we're talking about unrepentive sin here. There's a difference between striving for the perfection God demands, and simply throwing in the towel and living in cheap grace. We're also not talking about a salvation thing here. By no means do I, or scripture for that matter, ever mean that if we continue sinning our salvation will be taken away from us. This is a matter of God's Holy Spirit choosing to dwell within us.

With all that in mind, as it's alot to chew on, I am glad to be given a message of law. It've been too long without it. I think this is something we do a horrible job of in the Lutheran church. Grace is free and it's our central message. . . .but some people need to be told and convicted of their sin to realize their need for a savior. Last night, I was that person. (And I fear I've been that person for far too long.) Once again, this isn't a fear thing, where we work our butts off to be good in hopes that God will still love us. . .because like the bastard children we are, He will mysteriously always love us. This is a matter of trying not to grieve the Holy Spirit. . . . . .grieve God himself. It is an amazing thing that God would choose to make us His dwelling place. Because quite honestly, I'm a pretty crappy dwelling. I can only imagine what I've put God's Spirit through. . .how much He's grieved because of my actions.

Convicted and Saved,
-Brandon-

No comments: